28.4.17

Bible Journaling


Duct tape is the only thing holding my bible together. You can't tell because of the ancient (really grossly misshapen) fabric cover I made when I was twelve. It's floral. And yellow. And quilted. And dirty. And overall, just super ugly.

My twelve-year-old self doodled all over my favorite gospels and those annoying introduction pages that I never bothered to read. You can bet the "notes" pages in my bible are full of my enlightened thoughts that I would never (repeat: ever) want someone to read over my shoulder at church, lest they cry over my theology or boo over my insufferable hand lettering skills.

This is coming from the girl who thought you should underline every time God was mentioned in the bible. I'm really not kidding. I highlighted the entire first chapter of Genesis in my Precious Moments Bible when I was eight, because God kept being mentioned in every verse! So, might as well highlight the whole thing...

BUT NOW, thank heavens, Bible Journaling is in. It's not sacrilegious to have gel marker bleed through the pages or to shamelessly watercolor over the verses. But as I already mentioned, my Bible was already past Bible Journaling stage and in need of some TLC before the entire map section fell out in the middle of church.

My mother-in-love supplied my unspoken (but apparently obvious) need for a new Bible in a version I preferred, with crisp, blank pages and roomy margins for notes...and doodles. :)

So far, I love my bible reading time (if Ella is content!) and since I was never one for taking notes, I find my thoughts more abstractly displayed through the doodles on the side. Plus, if we're all about meditating/memorizing passages, I find it's so much easier to think about what I drew in correlation to what I read (because images are easier to remember than a million words!)

I'm not a very talented artist, but I find it immensely fun to doodle in an attempt at being artistic.
By the way, we just moved into our awesome little cute (and SO SO SO SO SO SO DIRTY!) house, so my absence is justified. My creativity is absolutely going out of the roof with so many possibilities, however. I finally got to contact paper a fridge!

Until next time.
Cheers.

10 comments:

  1. You are an amazing artist! 10000 times better then me! And your hand lettering is on POINT! I got calligraphy pens for my birthday; and I am still working out HOW to use them....(and not just plain old cursive)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Misty - Oh Misty! Fiddle sticks, most of my inspiration came from pinterest since my mind can't freehand very well. Haha! I have tried (and failed. miserably.) calligraphy pens, but I actually cheat and just fill in extra thickness. Haha. :)

      Delete
  2. You're a wonderful artist!! I never thought I was into Bible journaling but yesterday and today I wrote out a passage that I want to memorize in different colors and "fonts" of a sort, and I really enjoyed it! Also, thinking I might need a set of sharpies...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Rebekah - well, shucks. :) I would never use the word artist to describe my doodles so I'm flattered. AND YES! Sharpies are the best. period.

      Delete
  3. Your journaling/artistic journaling is so powerful! I got chills just looking at the photos. Seriously, I think this is a neat way to really interact with the Word of God, and as you said, meditate on it and let it sink in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Mom - You used to do fun fonts and I still copycat your doodle style. I feel like this is something you would do...somewhere deep down inside your creative soul, you're yearning for a Bible journal. :D

      Delete
  4. This is absolutely stunning!! You know, I bet people would buy a Bible marked up with beautiful hand lettering and pictures -- people (like me) who can't do diddly squat when it comes to art. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Bailey - there was that super on-point girlfriend who Bible journaled the ENTIRE Bible and gave it to her boyfriend as a gift. 0_0

      Delete
  5. Soooooo pretty :D <3
    Hey! You guys MOVED again?!?!?! And to your own house??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. You have some crazy-awesome skills, girl! So pretty!!

    Oh, yes. I remember the "underline everything" stage of my life as well. 😂
    Good memories...

    ReplyDelete

Considering commenting? Don't be shy - I'd love to hear from you!