25.3.15

I'm a big girl now!

'Tis a lesson you should heed
Try, try, again
If at first you don't succeed
Try, try, again
Then your courage will appear 
For if you will persevere,
You will conquer, never fear!
Try, try, again 
- William E. Hickson

I memorized that three years into my twelve year home education. I still remember it, thanks to mandatory practicing-before-brushing-your-teeth-routines.

Can you homeschool preschool through high school? Well, parents - yes, you can! (I think I turned out pretty normal, except for the crazy way I hold my pen!)

I just kissed goodbye to highschool schedules forever. I can sing all the continents and countries in the world if I wanted to. I still yell "red herring!!" at Fox News. And how about the time I threw up my recipe for authentic Kenyan food?

I never thought I'd get past some of those algebra tests (I cried) and the anatomy lesson on the reproductive system I put off for two months, yet here I am. I already miss the long daddy talks of "x = 4.58 because y=b" and how mom, the twin and I died over sentence diagramming (Rod and Staff English may you rest in peace.) My Bestie and I exploded fish brains all over the dissection table. One time I deleted an entire unit of economics on Microsoft Word. Shall I even mention the epic time our science co-op crashed the local school and played with slinkies (SLINKIES!) on the floor (and it was for school?!?)
Yep, that was fun. Twelve years fun.

But excuse me while I scream from the rooftops and laugh at the world accompanied by my brain in all its brilliance.

P.s. Where are you school-wise?

20 comments:

  1. Good morning beautiful. You have been a big girl for quite some time now. Silly thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Aidan - you really were up early. ;( And yeah. I guess I'll ignore the fact I could've been done four weeks ago. Procrastination!

      Delete
  2. Haha!!! I know how you felt about the sentence diagramming!! I've been working on learning that since 2nd grade and..... My brain blows up over it!!! :P (also did Rod and Staff English. Hated it. ;) ) Well..... I'm like half way through the "twelve years of fun." :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Josephine - yeah. I'm still not sure if sentence diagramming is secretly a test to see how long your brain can live under extreme stress. Glad to have a fellow Rod and Staffer (did you ever do the crocodile essay??!!)

      Delete
    2. Yeah. :) Well, I don't do all Rod and Staff... I only did the language arts from 2nd to 4th grade.... So I don't know what you're talking about. :/

      Delete
  3. Congratulations, Bethany! :) It was be amazing to be done, FINALLY, done. :)

    I'll be finished by the end of next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Kara - cool beans. (wait. you're not graduating early...right? What? Are you?!?)

      Delete
    2. No, just with this school year. I'll be graduating next year.

      Delete
    3. @ Kara - Okay, so I almost freaked out there. :) You always were the early-bird when it came to finishing school! Only one year left!!

      Delete
  4. AHHHHHHHHHHH! The day has finally come! Congratulations! High school graduation seems so long ago, but come to think of it, it was such a huge day, a huge relief. Like the first day of the rest of your life. I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Bailey - Hm. Mine was a little boring, actually.
    Me: "Am I done?"
    Mom: "Yep."
    Me: "Okay." walks upstairs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!!!

    I'll be finishing high school in a few months. It's kind of scary and totally awesome at the same time.

    I did Rod and Staff English too. My younger sibs are doing it now and I'm pretty sure they almost hate it. A lot more than my older brothers and I. Nerd Alert: I liked diagramming sentences...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Rebekah - Oh. Well, my mother and sister used to diagram scripture verses during lunch. For fun. Yeah. 0.0

      Delete
  7. So happy for you, Bethany!!! This is such an awesome moment... I remember how it felt last year :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. that's awesome. congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, boy those rod and staff sentence structuring!!!! 0_ o Took up so much space and time sometimes. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Blythe - Wow. This comment thread is saying a lot about the joys of English lesson. ^_^

      Delete
  10. I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU, BETHANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I seriously can NOT wait for next year:) I was going to be done for this year by the end of April... but suddenly this past month has been insanely busy, and I've basically given up on that dream :P So, my "new" plan is to finish by the end of May ;) But I just love to dream of the day that I'll be done FOREVER! Well... obviously, I won't be done learning in life forever... but you know what I mean :)
    Hannah Piotraschke

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am going to be done with high school in 2016 the spring can't wait

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's still a couple of months before you officially finish out your fine arts requirements (drama and piano) and lay hold of your diploma....we certainly have time to work on some more diagramming sentences if you want to.

    ReplyDelete

Considering commenting? Don't be shy - I'd love to hear from you!