4.2.15

and then I sewed an medieval kirtle

Oh ye bonny lads and lasses a tale I'll have to tell: how I slaved five weeks on a dress I made up as I went along.

The keys of sewing are simple:
Right sides together
&
Be the man with the plan

Ripping out seams from lack of step #1 and combining three different patterns for lack of step #2 is just draining. And you're bound to end up with something interesting.


 Materials used:
  • An old blouse I re-purposed and dyed tan
  • Some scrap fabric for the bodice & sleeves
  • Canvas curtains for the lining of the bodice
  • Zip-ties for boning
  • 22 bronze grommets mom found at Wal Mart
  • And 2 yds of cotton. . .maroon. . .fabric stuff
  • A medieval pattern, renaissance sleeve gauntlets, and the previous drafted corset
 The skirt & bodice are separate. Which is good and not good (depends on your outlook in life.) I spent an hour stenciling the bottom and it reminds me of Frozen for some reason.

 Pretend the zig-zagging is perfect. Our sewing machine has an attitude of it's own.

 Yes, I was proud of the skirt pattern I made up. Sorta. I even found an old zipper I somehow inserted.

 The sleeves were a must and took me two tortuous days to complete. They're definitely. . .different, that's for sure. The lace-up back was the worst decision I ever made. But it's still fun. Minus the rip in the back I forgot to fix.

 (I'm living on a cup of coffee today, so please pardon my enthusiastic expression. The camera was being wonky and this was at least attempt #1,457.)

 Whoa - tip of the day. Don't shoot in raw accidentally. And pull back your hair.

 Yes. My "balcony" is actually a crib. It's negative something outside, so I have to imagine it's a gorgeous scenery.

 The attempt at curtsying fail. I honestly can't curtsy for the life of me without falling over. None of this lady-in-waiting-practically-on-the-floor-perfectly-balanced-stuff.

Another minor detail that took three days - the lion on the front. I couldn't (couldn't. just couldn't) resist after I found a free template on pinterest. He (the lion) really needs a name though. . .

And there you have it.
I'm supposed to be serving fudge right now. Pardon the randomness, the nasty editing, and the weird writing style of yours truly at this present moment in time.

24 comments:

  1. This is beyond cool!! Love it so much x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!!!! This so pretty!!! Too bad my costume isn't that good. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, nonsense. ;) Just count your blessings you don't have to wait five years for your sister to lace it up. =)

      Delete
    2. Hey, I was just wondering, are you going to wear it to play practice? I love the embroidery too!!! :D

      Delete
  4. Wow, I love it. It's very gorgeous. I especially love the embroidered lion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. ;) I love the lion, too. . .he's been officially dubbed "the lion." (wow. I'm socreative.)

      Delete
  5. This is beautiful! I love the embroidered lion. Being a horrible seamstress myself, I stand in awe of your skills. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chloe! I'm thoroughly flattered. I hand-sewed the whole thing.
      Okay, okay. . .just kidding. ;)

      Delete
  6. Beautiful!!! You are so talented & creative, Bethany! (maybe it's my overactive imagination but your bobby pins in the 9th picture look like a sword...so awesome! hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! That was completely unplanned. ;)

      Delete
  7. Wowza. That looks amazing. And really hard to put on, much less sew. Just wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really thinking it's harder to put on. ^_^ But hey, if you come down for the play (*hint, hint*) you can be my official lacer-upper. ;)

      Delete
  8. That dress is lovely! You did a great job. I love the color and the stenciling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome!!! I want one! However, I can't sew for the life of me, so that might not be such a good idea. But still, medieval clothing is so lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's such a beautiful dress, Bethany! I'm amazed at what you can do, especially without a pattern. The stenciling on the bottom looks a little like rosemaling, so maybe that's why it reminds you of Frozen. :)
    What did you make the dress for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what rosemaling is, but I'm going to add that to my dictionary of things that sound impressive. ;)
      The dress is for our annual homeschool production of Robin Hood.

      Delete
    2. Oooh, sounds fun!
      Rosemaling is Norwegian/Swedish folk art. :) I should start a dictionary of things that sound impressive...

      Delete
  11. Your costume is SO awesome, Bethany!!!!!!! I seriously cannot wait for this play... :)
    Hannah P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bethany! Wow! I love the dress! I love the stenciling! At first glance you would have thought it was Anna's dress! =) Is this the finished product or are you going to add more? You are 'practically perfect. . .' (quoted from 'Mary Poppins') Bethany!
    ~Marie Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Marie - This is definitely the final product. I'm a little drained from this dress. ;) It still needs some alterations though. . .however, I'm working on a jerkin for Prince John and a page disguise. . . :D

      Delete
    2. Whoa!!! That's a LOT of stuff to do Bethany!! Too bad I can't make our costumes... I don't know how. :/

      Delete
    3. @ Josephine - Haha. Well, I don't know how to either. It's just trial & error. ;)

      Delete

Considering commenting? Don't be shy - I'd love to hear from you!