2.7.14

a weekfull of strawberries

My strawberry picking resolution of the year was to avoid attaining squashed strawberry tattoos. Or whatever you call that nasty situation when you kneel in rotten strawberries.
Well, knowing lucky ducky me. . .I was completely unsuccessful in that resolution. Not only that, but I also was given the one row of strawberries that had a mud puddle instead of a straw walking path. I left Glendale Farm with soaked sneakers, strawberry stained capris, a sore back, and a trail of strawberries that I clumsily kept dumping from the box.
All in all, it was a pretty fun day.

I hope there isn't a set 'healthy' strawberry serving amount. Because if there is - I've broken it every. single. day. Strawberries are addicting, just sayin'.
Oh, and did I mention we made jam?
And I spelled strawberry juice down my jeans?
Oh, yeah. True story.
*face palm*

10 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Love the photo of the strawberries in the glass bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I know all too well the feeling of kneeling in a bunch of, uh, "over-ripened" strawberries. . . :)

    Enjoy your strawberry jam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah...the good times of picking strawberries! Crazy fun. Cool jam. :)

    It's a good thing they don't weigh you before and after you pick...Because it is FREE-ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT-STRAWBERRIES!!! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Kara - I'm glad we can sympathize together about squashed strawberries. :)

    @ Aidan - em, hello. Unlike some people, I don't eat the strawberries while picking them. Are you a strawberry stealer? :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't?!?! It's not stealing...they never said not to...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I work there, and they tell me that eating (a few) strawberries while picking is a part of the experience:) So, within reason, I don't think you necessarily "steel" them. And by the way, Bethany, I agree with you that strawberries ARE very addicting; try standing in the field for 5 or 6 hours, with rows of them all around you just calling your name, and tell yourself "no" to snitching only a few on the job.
    And just in case you're wondering... I do snitch ;) What can I do, though, when the other person I'm working with snitches too and makes it look SO good. It's especially bad in the afternoons when it's really slow, and there's nothing else to do... but eat... But I don't feel so guilty, because I usually eat the berries in already picked rows; the ones people missed and will go to waste anyway :)
    I'm glad you had a memorable day at Glendale Farm =) Sorry I couldn't chat with you guys more that day... I had to rush to the field!
    Hannah Piotraschke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Now I can legally steal strawberries. :)

      Delete
  7. That was so much fun! I always love our annual strawberry-picking tradition. Too bad the jam didn't gel very well. Grrr.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Strawberries are the best. They're pretty much all I've eaten this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmmmmmmmmm...Starwberries
    So my mom and I went last weekend and as soon as we started picking strawberries its rained, I don't mean "rain" i'm mean down poured the entire 45 minutes it took us to pick 2 flats(p.s. that should make the guniss world record book)of strawberries, well we got home and I thought for sure I was going to punnonia after being so soaked, I literally "RUNG" myself out. (this is a true story)

    ReplyDelete

Considering commenting? Don't be shy - I'd love to hear from you!