24.12.13

faithful nobodies

 I think we assume that being visited by angels is enough to convince us to do anything. Maybe that's right for everyone - but for me - if I were some of the characters in the Christmas story...angels or no, I'd have serious second thoughts.

And then there's Mary. A young girl (supposed to be even younger than I am) who gets visited by an angel and told that she's going to bear a Son. She asks a very just question about how that's going to happen...and after that she simply complies. No, she doesn't even comply. She makes a very eloquent statement of her faithfulness to God. Even though she'll be labeled as an adulteress for the rest of her life by all the ignorant neighbors.

I don't know about you. But I'd be bawling and begging Gabriel to give me five years to finish my tears. This young girl, who was engaged no less, being found pregnant would be the worst scandal in Nazareth history.Yet she was faithful. Even to the point of being a social outcast. You could be stoned or worse. We don't know that her parents were minorly supportive, as portrayed in the movie The Nativity...what if they completely ousted her out of the family?

And me? I'm not anywhere close to trusting God...at the point of maybe being laughed at.

And then Joseph. He's faithful. He believes. He believes his dream (I probably wouldn't...even if I thought it was an angel) and takes this thought-to-be adulteress as his wife. I'm sure the gossips had something to say about that!

And what about the shepherds? Everyone talks about how they were nobodies (they were) and what an honor they had to visit Jesus first. Be frankly, there's the problem of sheep. I don't know anything about shepherds...but did they literally herd all their sheep as they raced to Bethlehem (I'm assuming they have more than the five sheep obediently kneeling next to the manger)? Did they simply leave their livestock out on the fields and rush to Bethlehem? I don't know. I'm speculating. But they were faithful. Even if it meant possibly leaving their livelihood out in the pasture for a possible hallucination. Yes, the angels would have been amazing...but I'd be inclined to have fifth thoughts afterwords. Like Scrooge, assuming the ghost Marley was really caused by a piece of moldy cheese.

Simon was told he would see the Messiah. And he faithfully believed that. However, I probably would've lost hope after waiting so long.

I'd be a Zacharius. Questioning the validity of all the crazy happenings that happened in the first two chapters of Luke. I'm a skeptic most of the time. And I'm sure these nobodies who had amazing visits by angels were mildly skeptical, too. But they responded. They were faithful. They weighed out the odds and simply believed. And they were blessed.

Being faithful to the end is a rare thing today. When you stumble upon the few faithful trusters - you glimpse a slice of heaven. Ironically, everything may go horribly wrong in their life - but they're satisfied. They trust in God and believe He's greater. They see beyond what people think of them, their possessions, and their dissolving blessings...but to them, they've found their rock and supporting stone. And they're not afraid.

How I wish I were like that. 

2 comments:

  1. The beauty of a life lived like that is He's even more faithful to make sure that in the end your reward is great. A life of utter abandon is indeed hard, hard is an understatement. But what a joy it is to be so open to Him that His blessings have free reign in your life. He meets you where you are, And that is worth abandoning everything in your life to see His hand work on your behalf.
    I love this post, beautifully written.
    Blessings and merry Christmas !
    Rachel Hope

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fresh perspective....thanks, love.

    ReplyDelete

Considering commenting? Don't be shy - I'd love to hear from you!