14.10.13

how to conveniently fail a musical audition | Anne of Green Gables

via
"I am so glad I live in a world with Octobers." -- Anne of Green Gables
October means musical audition. And musical audition means Anne of Green Gables. How exciting can that be? Preeeetty exciting.

But at this moment, I was dying of claustrophobia in a tiny room trying to get a broken CD player to work. The poor directors sat patiently and politely asked (no doubt to pass the time) what song I was singing. Still fighting with the CD player, I replied, "On my Own from Les Miserables" (which, dear reader, happens to be my favorite book and musical, hands down.) The reply? "Oh, no."

- interuption -

The last thing you ever want to hear during auditions is the director saying, "oh, no" - but what was this horrible sentence I heard?

"Oh, no."

Bethany!! What did I do wrong? Is that a banned song?

Consequently, (although rumored that I was conspiring against the director's emotion), it happened to be one of the things that made her cry.

What was it...forty five seconds of singing a song with my voice cracking, adrenaline pumping and trying not to start crying myself. Forget the song - when someone is crying in the room, especially someone I'm trying to impress - I'll start bawling.

Thank heavens I didn't. I must admit, I was really shaken by causing someone to cry, especially while nervously singing a song almost void of emotion on my part.At any rate, I was flustered and I nervously began my monologue of Anne's apology to Mrs. Lynde. I finished reasonably well and I actually enjoyed it. But I was ready to get out of that room. So ready, that I tripped backwards and fell into the piano. Not the greatest last impression to leave.

Clumsy toes. Talk about embarrassing! I don't remember what I said, but I grinned stupidly and made up some half-hearted ridiculous joke. The directors were more than sympathetic to my clumsy cause - and thankfully didn't expound on my carelessness. Oh, Bethany. Nevermind, I had promised myself to have fun trying out for Anne - and I did - and I also created a gloriously ridiculous memory for the next time I tell the stories of my life.

After failing a government class and a few hours later, my sisters ran downstairs screaming that the cast-list was up on the blog. My mother, brother and the rest all scrambled to the computer and we began to read slowly. I wasn't Mrs. Lynde. Diana. Or Mrs. Stacy. Or even Josie Pie. Not even Marilla. Oh, heavens...there wasn't anyone else I'd rather be.

Until --

I think I gasped. Or made a very un-ladylike squeal. But I was honestly shocked to the bottom of my tip-toes. It never ever even crossed my mind that I could ever be chosen as Anne.

I blush to even tell you what happened next. I think I ran around dancing. I went over the monologue and my song trying to rationalize why it would've impressed them.

It wasn't...my piano tripping - was it?

Please no. I shall die of embarrassment forever after. But...I won't complain either. 



P.s. The most common question I've gotten this week: are you dyeing your hair red? The answer:
Of course I'm dyeing it red! One doesn't always get to have red hair. I'll take this offer up. :)

13 comments:

  1. Gahhh this is so exciting!!! Congratulations!!!!!! I can't wait to hear more about this. I love Anne, I love the Anne musical, and I love On My Own.
    Well, Anne's not supposed to be perfect, so I guess your audition didn't have to be perfect. *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!! This is so exciting!! Well, I guess Anne isn't all that graceful sometimes, so you didn't need to be perfectly poised. *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  3. “I read in a book once that a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, but I've never been able to believe it. I don't believe a rose WOULD be as nice if it was called a thistle or a skunk cabbage.”

    ^ Reading this brought one of my favorite Anne Shirley quotes to mind. Congrats, Bethany! That is so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, goodness! so happy for you! i recently auditioned for The Sound of Music at my local community theatre, and all though i didn't get the role i was going for, i landed a nun/new postulant. being anne will be such an adventure, i can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness congratulations!! I wish I could see it!!

    Oh you can't top my horrid audition story...I was twelve, and my dad got really into it and wrote a monologue for me. Of Barbie. Tour-guide Barbie. From Toy Story.

    It was bad. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Heidi - what? That's like my favorite part of the whole movie...smiling Barbie. :D Don't feel too awful, my brother did a monologue from Ratatouille.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! That is so exciting! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. DON'T DYE YOUR HAIR RED!

    Not unless I'm there to help you dye it. ;)

    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO awesome Bethany! Congratulations. =D

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Bethany...everybody thought it was really funny...at least...I just don't think it lent itself to a MTI production of Annie ;) He made up toys to talk about and I couldn't do it without laughing XD

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Bethany, I'm so glad you wrote about this. I would love to have been a fly on the wall when you read the cast list. This gives me a little glimpse.

    Your song was gorgeous, and your interpretation of Anne's apology drew me right in. You're going to make a brilliant Anne. And I can't wait to see your red hair!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bethany !!!!!!!!! I am going to assist you in dyeing your hair ! lol. Don't do it without me !!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Waaaay to go! Yes, you have to dye your hair! It'll go away, but to be Anne... sigh, so incredible. You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete

Considering commenting? Don't be shy - I'd love to hear from you!