28.6.12

midnight post | things that bother me


Pinned Image
///// via \\\\\
 Conversations circle around acne, diets and exercising tips. We've got hours to talk about how to do our hair, and our fingernail tips, and what clothes we're going to wear to the next social event. After five hours of this and similar topics, we Christian girls have lisped one word about our real life. Real life? Some call it their "faith" life.

God (which I assume all Christian friends have in common? Or is that rash?) is the silent topic. Why do we talk about clothes which people will look at once and not care what you're wearing after that? There's only so much you can say about your amazing Goodwill trip where you found such a cute outfit.

Confession: if you're like me (the goody Christian girl), God isn't exactly the first thing on my mind when I see one of my friends. I rush over and ask about their day, think of something to make them laugh, and we'll launch into (more often or not) the said topics above. With some friends, God is a pretty big topic in most of our conversations. With others, I can say God never was a topic in our conversations.

Isn't that odd?

Or is that just me? Because it really bothers me that we talk about things that won't matter next week and we moan about things that won't bother us in a few minutes. We jabber on and on in life and can't save the first sentence to glorify God.

At our bible study this past Tuesday, a girl brought up a friend who she described as, "being totally in love with God." A few other girls immediately knew the said girl and nodded in agreement.

I wonder how they knew that?

I guess - she must've talked!

Pardon for the positively horrid grammar. It's midnight and I'm practically ready to nose-dive into the covers.

5 comments:

  1. This is something my friend and I were talking about on our way to youth group last Sunday.

    I find that I don't talk about important things because I'm scared. It's something that I'm praying God will give me the grace to overcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to be the kind of person who people talk about as being "totally in love with God". Not because I want people to think I'm amazing, I just want to reflect God that much. Anyway, thanks for the post.

    ps: replying to your email later today...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right Bethany. It bothers me too. Why is it so awkward to talk about God with CHRISTIAN friends? I have 2 really close friends that I can talk about God with-- comfortably. But the others? They look at me like I've grown another head. This needs to change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You girls are amazing. Someday we'll all meet and talk about God. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post could not be more pertinent to me right now than if you had included my name. I am struggling with talking about "real things" (faith, witness, our glorious Savior) with even my close friends. I have had some really sweet and encouraging and wonderful discussions with my sister and one other friend lately, and just wish I could pour that over all my relationships.

    When people look at me, I want them to think, not "she's gorgeous," but "what is different about her?" Not, "she's so witty," but "what is it that is flavoring her conversation?"

    ReplyDelete

Considering commenting? Don't be shy - I'd love to hear from you!