21.2.12

thank you?


OKAY, I'll admit I'm the last person who is first to be grateful. I'm not ignorant of "Rejoice always" or "In everything give thanks".

But isn't it funny, how we read something at least 1,000 times and we don't even recognize it?


Give thanks,

Mmm, yup, be thankful - okay, gotcha.

The last thing I think about when I wake up is giving thanks. I am more likely to think, can I sleep in today? Why is my leg asleep? What should I wear? 

I fail at thanksgiving. And from what I've been reading, thanksgiving does not seem to be an option. 

Have you ever had a really bad day? I mean, one of those horrible days. Here's the picture: You wake up all bright with a "thank you Lord for this brand new day!". But then your younger sister is taking a late morning shower, and you can't brush your teeth or comb your hair. Instead of taking opportunity to thank God for showers, warm water, and your little sister (be creative - you can thank God for when the bathroom happens not to be occupied), you moan and groan to people who aren't interested in your tale of woe. The dog eats your breakfast, and no one emptied the dishes you're obligated to empty. School is late and math is twenty problems of graphing. You've got a science test to study for, and the toddlers are screaming and your siblings are reciting their Latin lesson.

Ungratefulness is contagious. 

You know the verse (Col. 3:17):

"and whatever you do in word or deed do all in the name of Jesus"

(that's the Bethanified version - I paraphrase badly) Did you ever stop to think about the end of the verse that not many people think about?


"giving thanks to God through Him"

Funny, but mentioned with every single deed you do, is giving thanks. To God. Notice there is no, unless you don't feel like it - or you forgot. This is optional to the Christian life...


I don't think so.

"overflowing with gratitude"

(Col 2:7) David said his "cup runs over". If we just stop and look at our blessings, we realize that we're run over with them. Practically drowning in God's goodness. If we're overflowing with blessings from God, shouldn't we overflow with gratitude to God?

A good way to start giving thanks is to figure out your state of thankfulness. Are you ungrateful? Or maybe just ignorant of God's blessings? I'm definitely not ignorant, and it hurt to come to the realization that I'm a (naturally) ungrateful person. And, that, I decided, was not what I wanted my first name to be. 

Just sit for a moment, and think of at least ten things you're thankful for. It can be absolutely anything.

Seriously, do it.

I mean it, now.

Did you thank God for the intricate nervous system He designed? Did you thank Him for your teeth? How about hair #1,700? When we start focusing on the smallest blessings, our biggest grumbles become insignificant.

Remember that "bad day" I mentioned? God gave you that day. Remember to thank Him for it.

How's your attitude of gratitude?

Bethany Grace

4 comments:

  1. Wow. This was great. Thanks for the reminder... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Flop. Your posts always mean a lot to me. Just counting how many things I DO have makes me feel bad for my stinky attitude today. I'm so blessed, and sometimes I don't only take it for granted, I want more. Jesus has given me all I need already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! Thank you for sharing.
    You have a beautiful way of writing.



    Blessings,
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read the first few sentences of this the other day (finished reading it today) and it really made me think. God has given me so much - am I just taking it all for granted of thanking Him for it?

    A verse I recently memorized is Philippians 4:6, "Be careful for nothing, but in every thing by prayer and supplication WITH THANKSGIVING, let your requests be made known unto God." (KJV) It is sobering to think, "How many times do I pray to God and complain vs. give thanks?"

    Thank you for this reminder!

    By God's Grace,
    Amanda
    www.withajoyfulnoise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Considering commenting? Don't be shy - I'd love to hear from you!